Skip to content Home Moving GuideAdmin2022-03-23T09:17:26-07:00
Household Moving in Hawaii
4 Weeks before Moving
- If you are going to use professional movers, get price quotes from reputable, licensed companies and arrange for packing to be completed one to two days before loading.
- If you’re packing everything yourself, start packing now, a few boxes a day. Arrange for storage.
- Send change of address cards to friends, relatives, and magazine or other subscription services.
- Arrange for interim accommodations, if needed.
- Take care of your new location insurance needs.
- Dispose of items you won’t be taking with you. Donate them to charity, give them to family or friends, or have a garage sale.
- Send furniture, drapes, carpets and other items out for repair or cleaning.
3 Weeks before Moving
- Assemble all of your important documents: medical/dental insurance, taxes, school, automobile and credit. Keep these documents handy.
- Arrange to have utilities, appliances and telephone service disconnected. Arrange for utility and telephone hook-up in your new home, if possible.
- Make all travel arrangements, including car rental.
- Arrange to have appliances serviced one week before moving.
- Review medical insurance requirements and arrange for medical support in your new area. Arrange for transfer of your records.
- Notify credit card firms of your change of address.
2 Weeks before Moving
- Take care of bills, stocks and investments.
- Close out your membership at local clubs and organizations.
- Arrange for transportation of your pet(s).
- Notify the Post Office of your change of address.
1 Week before Moving
- Transfer medical prescriptions.
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment.
- Arrange for a babysitter on moving day.
- Arrange to discontinue your newspaper delivery.
1-2 Days before Moving
- Pack your luggage.
- Defrost and dry the refrigerator/freezer.
- Obtain cash and travelers’ checks for trip expenses.
- Pick up airline tickets.
- Ship pets and cars if they are each going separately.
- Pack essential medicines and documents to take with you.